[Histonet] drosophila paraffin histology technique

Prentice, Linda Linda.Prentice <@t> ucsf.edu
Tue Oct 21 14:04:40 CDT 2014

I would appreciate help with finding  a good paraffin protocol for drosophila (fruit flies).  I am currently using Bouin's fixative followed by a routine alcohol, xylene substitute and paraffin infiltration technique.  I need a protocol that will allow better infiltration than I am currently getting, I have tried potassium hydroxide to "soften" the outer layer of the fruit fly but there was only a slight improvement.  We are looking at the Malpighian tubules and I will need serial section.

thanks
Linda Prentice
University of California, SF
Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences.