[Histonet] RE: Trichrome Kit Failures

Marsh, Nannette NMP <@t> stowers.org
Thu Oct 16 15:40:09 CDT 2014

Hello Blake,

We had a similar incident happen in our lab using a Trichrome Kit.  The muscle from the mouse heart stained blue instead of scarlet red.  We found that it was not the mordant but it was the Gomori's stain had expired.  Instead of ordering a new kit, we made fresh stains in house and used the picric acid mordant from the kit.  The sample stained perfectly and correctly. I know that you are using a kit for the Ventana Stainer so I understand that our situations are not exactly the same but I thought perhaps our experience might be of some help to you.

Nanne Marsh HT ASCP

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Blake Taylor
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:34 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Trichrome Kit Failures

Is anyone having Trichrome Kit Failures on the Ventana Benchmark Special Stainers.  We are running into Kits that present with 10 stains left but we are finding the mordant has actually run out and the stains will be all blue.  There is no way of knowing this will happen ahead of time.  The machine does not have an alert.  This has happened with different kits from different lot numbers.  Ventana is researching but they are telling us that no one else is experiencing this problem.  If anyone has run into similar problems I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

Blake Taylor
Surgical Pathology Supervisor
Lexington Medical Center
803-936-8214
bcdukes <@t> lexhealth.org<mailto:bcdukes <@t> lexhealth.org>

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This electronic message and any attachments are confidential property of the sender. The information is intended only for the use of the person to whom it was addressed. Any other interception, copying, accessing, or disclosure of this message is prohibited. The sender takes no responsibility for any unauthorized reliance on this message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and purge the message you received. Do not forward this message without permission.