[Histonet] RE: Shandon Excelsior ES®

Marcum, Pamela A PAMarcum <@t> uams.edu
Thu Oct 16 13:47:30 CDT 2014

We have four Excelsior processors and love them.  We had some very old VIPs that we replaced with them over the past few years.  They are safer as the reagent handling and changing is quick and simple.  We dump the alcohol when the unit hygrometer (and the techs) see the percentage is low and ready to change, by allowing the unit to dump the dirty alcohol into an empty container in the lower half of the cabinet.  Then we remove the dirty bottle and cap it; while putting in a clean alcohol to be picked up and pulled in when the correct place is reached in the program.  It is the same with the xylene exchanges.  It dumps the paraffin when it is contaminated and you remove it, dump and reload in the empty chamber.  You set the number of uses for formalin and it counts down to a change and does the same dump and change out routine.   It saves us about 70% or more on reagent costs and would be higher if we were not using a Leica ASP 300s for our bone marrows.

It is easy to use and program and no they don’t pay me!!  It is safety first and less exposure to alcohol and xylene fumes is the real plus I wanted for the lab for everyone.   (No one complains anymore when we change reagents about the smell.  We share a large area with 4 other lab areas who are very picky!)   The rest we just learned to love.  We have had a few services calls however; Thermo answered fast and we up and running very quickly.  We use them every day and they are workhorses.   We have one for placenta and autopsy only, two for routine surgicals and one for biopsies only.  We also run biopsies and RUSH specimens during the day if they are available.

Pam Marcum
UAMS

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Cheri Miller
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:23 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Shandon Excelsior ES®

What do people think about the Shandon Excelsior processor?  I currently have the old Miles-Sakura VIP and we love it but we are looking for another processor so we can have 2 processors for fatty tissue. I am ok with getting another refurbished VIP. I have excellent service contracted with a Bio Medical repair company they do all my PMs and repairs.  I'm trying to save money so I don't want to spend it where I don't really need it.  My mind frame is 'If its not broke don't fix it" Any thoughts on this would be welcomed.
Thanks, Cheri

Cheryl A. Miller HT ASCP cm
Histology Supervisor
Hygiene Officer
Physicians Laboratory, P.C.
4840 F St.
Omaha , NE. 68117
402 731 4145 ext. 532
Cell 402 493 0403
Fax 402 731 8653

PRIVILEGED / CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee intended / indicated or agent responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that you are in possession of confidential and privileged information. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.