[Histonet] RE: H Pylori IHC

Cartun, Richard Richard.Cartun <@t> hhchealth.org
Mon Oct 13 14:43:42 CDT 2014

I think the real question here is, "Why do your pathologists want H. pylori IHC on all of these specimens?"  If it's "TAT, maybe something can be done to improve it so that you not have to do all this "unnecessary" work.  We only order H. pylori IHC on those cases that show the appropriate inflammatory background and organisms cannot be identified on H&E.  Also, IHC can be helpful when patients have been treated for H. pylori and, once again, organisms cannot be identified on H&E.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 972-1596
(860) 545-2204 Fax

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Baldwin, Kathy
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2014 2:36 PM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] FW: H Pylori IHC

Hi all
My pathologist would like our techs to do H pylori IHC stains on all stomach, GE Junction and esophagus BX's.  What I was wondering, if there were any indication in Regulations or anything that we couldn't do this?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

S Kathy Baldwin
Histology/Cytology Supervisor
PH. 812-996-0210, Fax 812-996-0232
sbaldwin <@t> mhhcc.org<mailto:sbaldwin <@t> mhhcc.org>    :)

"Christ's healing mission of compassion empowers us to be for others through Quality and Excellence"
Vision Statement:  We are committed to being the preferred health and wellness provider; transforming lives through faith based, compassionate care.