[Histonet] can you defrost and fix muscle tissue?

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Fri Oct 10 15:12:03 CDT 2014

Tyrone

As long as the tissue has been frozen properly you should not have an issue with taking a frozen block to paraffin.  If the tissue has been frozen improperly (slow freezing) then you may encounter some freeze artifact.  We have done it on several occasions without any adverse effects.  We place the frozen sample directly into the fixative rather than thawing and then fixing, replace the fixative and then process as usual.  Sounds more like a processing problem to me, possibly over processed?  Once the blocks were trimmed did you place on wet ice prior to sectioning?  For fixation I would use 4% PFA or 10% NBF.  For staining I would use a modified trichrome one that combines elastic and trichrome staining since you may get disruption of the elastic fibers in atherosclerosis.  We did not work in rat models but we looked at rabbit and mouse models for atherosclerosis, we stained IHC for macrophages, smooth muscle actin and CD31.  Good Luck.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
liz <@t> premierlab.com
www.premierlab.com

March 10, 2014 is Histotechnology Professionals Day

Ship to Address:

Premier Laboratory, LLC
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504