[Histonet] RE: Decalcified Bone Eosin Overstaining

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au
Thu Oct 2 19:04:47 CDT 2014

The increased eosinophilia, in this scenario,  is usually due to over-decalcification.

I would suggest:

*	Treat sections with 1% Periodic acid (as used in the PAS stain) for 10 minutes before Haematoxylin staining.
*	Use an iron-haematoxylin or Celestine blue-Haematoxylin
*	decrease time in eosin (or use a neutral 1% eosin stain).

This should increase nuclear staining and decrease the eosin reaction.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist, the Children's Hospital at Westmead
Adjunct Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
Pathology Department
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA