[Histonet] RE: Kidney bx transport solution

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsf.edu
Mon Nov 24 15:10:27 CST 2014

Barb, the clinical/nursing staff deliver the bx to our Grossing lab. Grossing takes some for light microscopy and forwards the parts  for IF and EM to the IF/EM lab.(we pick up from grossing or they deliver to us). In EM/If we look at the cores and determine the best dissection to make and freeze/fix there. If grossing has a hard time deciding if the cores are good they bring all the specimens to us and we figure it out.

Everything comes fresh from the clinician on saline-wetted  telfa pads in a 45mm petri dish in an ice container. We make up kits in the EM lab, including 100ml plastic beakers of ice, and they use those kits for the biopsy retrieval. We don't use Zeus for in-house specimens (though we may for some future cases due to a new facility opening that is 30 to 45 min away by courier).

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, Electron Microscopy and Neuromuscular Special Studies
UC San Francisco Medical Center
San Francisco, CA

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or distribute this email message or its attachments. If you believe you have received this email message in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Moe, Barbi A
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 12:56 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Kidney bx transport solution

Hi all -

Currently our histology lab staff travels to our Interventional Radiology suite when a kidney bx is performed.

At the procedure site, the sample is handed directly to the tech, it is evaluated for adequacy, divided, and put into the following solutions - formalin, Trump's, and Zeus Wash solution.  Upon return to the laboratory, the cores in Zeus Wash solution are then frozen for immunofluoresence done on site.

We are looking into a new way of doing things :-) and considering having the kidney bx delivered to the laboratory after procurement.  The samples would be hand-delivered to the lab immediately (within 5 - 10 minutes) and the samples (usually 3-4 cores) would be divided in the histology lab.

Could I get an idea of how many labs have the sample delivered to them vs the number that assist at the procedure site?

Also, any thoughts on what the best transport media/method would be?

All thoughts are much appreciated!

Barb Moe

Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

La Crosse WI