[Histonet] Re: lab math: ihc dilution

Teri Johnson tejohnson <@t> genoptix.com
Fri Nov 21 18:24:11 CST 2014

Here's how I approach this problem.

Convert all concentrations into the same units. I prefer to use whichever the final concentration unit is, so it looks like this:
1.56 mg/ml = 1560 ug/ml

You have 1560 ug/ml and you need 0.8 ug/ml
Divide 1560 by 0.8 = 1950. So your final dilution is 1:1950.

Pipetting 1 ul of antibody in a dilution isn't very accurate, and using the above  as 1 ul antibody in 1949 ul of diluent would yield you almost 2 ml of diluted antibody. Not a problem if  you are doing batch staining where you might need 5 or 10 ml of diluted antibody. But if you are staining only 1 or 2 slides, you might not want to make that much.

So follow Liz's advice about starting with a 1:10 dilution. Short division (move the decimal point one place to the left) puts the concentration at 156.0 ug/ml.

156 divided by 0.8 - 195 (You can see from above you could have just moved the final dilution decimal point one place to the left to get the same answer)

With a 1:10 dilution of stock your final dilution would be 1:195 and that seems a bit more reasonable for fewer slides/total volume. Remember that 1:195 dilution is 1 part of antibody added to 194 parts of diluent.

I would then multiply each side by the same number to get roughly how ever much diluted antibody you need. You can make *EXACTLY* however much you need, but that requires more complicated math, and I don't mind making just slightly over what I need to account for pipetting loss.

Ex: If I need 100 ul/slide of diluted antibody and 4 slides to stain, I would multiply both sides by 3, since multiplying it by 2 won't give you quite enough :
1 x 3 = 3 (ul of 1:10 antibody)
194 x 3 = 582 (ul of diluent)

Not sure if I helped or confused things.

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Manager Clinical Trial Testing
Genoptix, Inc.
SAN5, Rm. 2005
760.516.5954 (office)
760.516.6201 (fax)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains information that is confidential and proprietary to Genoptix Medical Laboratory or its subsidiaries. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.