[Histonet] Jores, Klotz and that pesky chloral hydrate

Betty Pollock epollock <@t> ucalgary.ca
Thu Nov 20 17:22:16 CST 2014

We are a veterinary pathology teaching lab and we used Klotz with chloral hydrate to preserve our gross teaching specimens.  We switched to a Klotz recipe that does not use chloral hydrate because the chloral hydrate is hard to source and very expensive.  It is maybe not quite as good as the Klotz with chloral hydrate but seems to work OK.

Here is the recipe.
Sodium chloride	208 g
Sodium bicarbonate	375 g
Sodium sulfate	458 g