[Histonet] Jores, Klotz and that pesky chloral hydrate

Truscott, Tom ttruscot <@t> vetmed.wsu.edu
Thu Nov 20 15:23:47 CST 2014

Hi Molly, You might just want to fix in buffered 10% formalin and then rinse specimens well in water ( maybe 20 minutes) before using in class and then put back in formalin. Tom T

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Molly Murphy
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:13 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Jores, Klotz and that pesky chloral hydrate

Hi All,
I am looking for a tissue fixative to preserve gross specimens for a veterinary pathology teaching lab (eg. no histo, only gross specimens). I have used Jore's in the past, and Klotz has been recommended, but the chloral hydrate is a problem child due to its status as a controlled substance (eg disposal is a hassle).

Does anyone have any thoughts about just leaving the chloral hydrate out?
Or, an alternative fixative that doesn't have the chloral hydrate?  I have access to a refrigerator for samples, and would *hopefully* keep the specimens for a year or two.

Thanks a bunch,

--
Molly Murphy DVM, Ph.D
Assistant Professor of Veterinary Pathology College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics University of Alaska Fairbanks