[Histonet] Re: Flames at embedding centers

Gray, Ed egray <@t> hsc.wvu.edu
Thu Nov 20 13:30:31 CST 2014

Ah, such an appropriate time of year for this thread.  Once a year we gave our trash autoclave a good cleaning and pressure cooked turkeys for our Thanksgiving party.

Ed Gray | Clinical Application Coordinator | Phone: 304-293-2945 | Fax: 304-293-1627 | WVU Healthcare l egray <@t> wvuhealthcare.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Richmond
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:36 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Flames at embedding centers

Remembering histotechnologists at Johns Hopkins in the 1960s smoking cigarettes while hand-staining slides in rows of large Stender dishes, including a dish with 20% picric acid in acetone, used to remove formalin pigment (since buffering formalin wasn't permitted way back then).

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN