[Histonet] Flames at embedding centers

Jay Lundgren jaylundgren <@t> gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:42:28 CST 2014

    Ahh, the good old days of walking into the lab and lighting all the
Bunsen burners first thing in the morning.  I didn't have any hair on my
knuckles for years.  Embedding with a Coke on the cold plate, and a smoke
in the ashtray next to you, anyone?  Good times.

     Now we have to use forceps warmers and change forceps between
specimens.  If you get 3 or 4 pair of forceps, one will always be hot
enough to use.  Also, there are embedding centers with heated forceps,
which I love
.
     Just remember to clean out the wells of the forceps warmers every day
to prevent cross contamination.  Cotton applicator swabs work great for
this.  And always keep a towel or gauze handy to wipe the tips of the
forceps between specimens.  Forceps warmers unfortunately don't incinerate
any stray tissue like a Bunsen burner did.

                       Sincerely,

                               Jay A. Lundgren, M.S., HTL (ASCP)