[Histonet] Re: Acetone fixation

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 14:34:19 CST 2014

Sheree H (where?) asks:

>>Have questions about using acetone at the grossing counter. Does anyone
have problems with it being carried over into the formalin on the
processor? We rinse, open cassette to let it dry completely and even change
the cassette. I've had issues with my processor and want to make sure it's
not coming from the acetone.<<

Acetone doesn't belong in the grossing area - too much of a fire and
explosion hazard. If your pathologists are using it to fix marking ink onto
specimens, they can use 3% acetic acid (half-strength white vinegar). I
don't use anything at all - if you blot the specimen dry before you put the
ink on, it'll stay put.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN