[Histonet] bone paraffin embedding

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 11:07:06 CST 2014

Nicole,
You can very easily fix the bone in 10% NBF and then go into your decalcification process. Remember that fixation rate of bone is generally around 1mm per 24 hours (in all directions) and that it is good to have a minimum of 20:1 ratio of solutions to specimen size for each step. I would also recommend either 5% or 10% formic acid for decalcification.
Can you tell us more specifics about the bone and what you wish to accomplish histologically? This information would be
I might also suggest contacting Sarah Mack (copied to this message) from the University of Rochester. She is the new Hard Tissue Committee Chairperson for the National Society for Histotechnology and an expert in decalcified bone. I might also add that Sarah and Kim Simmons, NSH Education Development Manager, are working on educational opportunities and resource materials for those working with bone, biomaterials and medical device implants. If you are not a member of the NSH then you might want to consider becoming a member www.nsh.org/content/benefits-membership so that you can be kept up to date with what's coming soon from the Hard Tissue Committee.
Best Regards,
Jack