[Histonet] Sentinel node policy

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Thu May 29 14:37:05 CDT 2014

I'd be happy to share my policy, but it contains nothing about low level
exposure to staff. The levels to which staff and couriers are exposed,
is approximate to naturally occurring background radiation.  They
probably would have a higher exposure level wearing a watch with glow in
the dark dial.
Why stress a problem when there is none? I hope this helps.
Here's some documentation that I've used for my procedure:

Am J Surg. 1999 Dec;178(6):454-7.
Radiation safety with breast sentinel node biopsy.
Stratmann SL1, McCarty TM, Kuhn JA.
"Radiation exposure to operating room personnel, pathologists, and
operative equipment during a breast sentinel node biopsy using Tc99m is
minimal. A primary surgeon can perform 2,190 hours, a scrub nurse 33,333
hours, and a pathologist 14,705 hours of procedural work before
surpassing Occupational Safety and Health Administration limits.
Operative instruments, pathology slides, and cryostat machines do not
require special handling"

Eur J Nucl Med. 2000 Apr;27(4):377-91.
Radiation safety of the sentinel lymph node technique in breast cancer.
Waddington WA1, Keshtgar MR, Taylor I, Lakhani SR, Short MD, Ell PJ.
"The radiation doses to staff groups involved in all aspects of the
technique are low, and under normal circumstances and levels of
workload, routine radiation monitoring will not be required"

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Holy Redeemer Hospital Laboratory
1648 Huntingdon Pike