[Histonet] Basement Lab

James Watson JWatson <@t> gnf.org
Tue May 6 09:18:01 CDT 2014

Our histology lab is in the basement here, but due to fire code in S.D. Ca.  we are limited on the amount of flammables in the basement if the room is not explosion proof.  So,  our processor and flammable storage is on the first floor.  Very LEAN.  I did bring some of the outside into the lab, the hanging plants are doing quite well, so they make up for not seeing the light of day somewhat.

James Watson HT  ASCP
GNF  Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
Tel    858-332-4647
Fax   858-812-1915
jwatson <@t> gnf.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Lee & Peggy Wenk
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2014 4:52 PM
To: John Smallwood; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Basement Lab

You need to meet with the architect, and engineer, and the fire marshal. And they need to be knowledgeable about the chemicals, etc. that will be stored/used in the lab area, and any rules/regulations in your country/area that relate to building labs.

The laws have changed in many locations, so that they want the fire department to have easy access to the lab, in case of a fire. Think of all the flammables we have - how many gallons of alcohol, xylene, acetone, etc.
Most of us are already in the basement, so we are grandfathered in. But anyone building a new lab, or an addition to a lab, will be under the new rules. Most of the time, they want the lab built on the 1st or 2nd floor, so the fire hoses don't have to be dragged up or down stairs or ladders. And they want the lab on a outside wall, again, so the fire fighters don't have to be hauling hoses into the middle of a building. And the outside wall can't be near where people will be walking by, in case there is a chemical blow out of the wall.

That being said, that doesn't mean that labs can't be built in the basement or, say, on the 5th floor. There are just a lot of additional conditions - walls, floors and ceiling that are thicker and can resist being burned through for longer periods of time, denser doors for fire resistance, automatic sprinkler systems that are closer together,etc.

So again, you need to meet with people who are knowledgeable about the type and amount of flammable chemicals that are going to be used in that area, and the laws that govern safety for building labs.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS