[Histonet] Basement Lab

Barbara Tibbs barbara.tibbs <@t> accuratediagnosticlabs.com
Mon May 5 12:04:38 CDT 2014

This is very true.  When I started back in the 70s, the lab was in the basement right down the hall from the morgue.  The only other department down there with us was the receiving department.   The only difference from other histology labs was that this was the  lab of the NAACLS accredited Histotechnology hospital based program in which I was a student.  All the techs were graduates of the program and were involved in teaching the two students.  I consider myself lucky that I trained this way rather than depending on the good graces of older histotechs teaching me at their whim.  But, to be fair, I learned a great deal from the "on-the-bench" trained techs through the years.

Barbara S. Tibbs
Histology Supervisor
Accurate Diagnostic Labs
South Plainfield, NJ
barbara.tibbs <@t> accuratediagnosticlabs.com
732-839-3374
Cell: 610-809-6508

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu <histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> on behalf of Rene J Buesa <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2014 12:22 PM
To: Susan.Walzer <@t> HCAHealthcare.com; suetp918 <@t> comcast.net; jrsmallwood <@t> bell.net
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Basement Lab

Histology is a very OLD "art" and by the end of the XIX and up to the middle of the XX century the "rule" was to do histology near the morgue that was almost always in the hospital basement. Additionally also since the start the laboratory activity less "respected" was that of histotech, always considered "inferior" to the medical lab tech. Histology was practiced from the start by "people" trained "to do histology" and the histology techs were recruited from janitors, secretaries, or pathologists' family members. It was just a "training" in how to process, section and stain, like a "flesh and bone" instrument.
This is a very long trend just now crumbling down because of CAP requirements and even perhaps as a sorts of "human rights" issue BUT there is always something remaining and nobody is surprised if the histology lab is relegated to the basement which is a non-premium real estate within the hospital. That is why!
Oh those old days that in this case are not "good old days"!
René J.