[Histonet] RE: Tissue Requisition

Susan.Walzer <@t> HCAHealthcare.com Susan.Walzer <@t> HCAHealthcare.com
Tue Mar 25 01:48:36 CDT 2014

Our req's come over the computer , not with specimen. We then check the req against the label on the specimen.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Vickroy, Jim
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2014 5:20 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Tissue Requisition

With the constant changes in our CAP checklists and the changes in electronic ordering and moves to go paperless a question has come up that I know used to be in the checklists but I can't seem to find it now. In the past surgical pathology specimens had to be sent with a requisition.  Our hospital is reviewing our process for handling specimens from various hospital departments.   Currently we still require that a requisition is brought with the specimen.  We have a system  where the various OR staff could place an electronic order for a surgical specimen in the computer and then the paper requisition will then print in the surgical pathology grossing area.   We are trying to decide if  a copy of the requisition still needs to accompany the specimen when it is delivered to the grossing room.   The specimens have electronic labels on them with patient identifiers and the exact site of the specimen is also listed on the label.  Please tell me how others are handling these changes.   Obviously I can see some advantages to no longer have illegible hand-written reqs from the OR docs or nurses, but something bothers me that a specimen will arrive without a requisition.   Any thoughts?

Jim

James Vickroy BS, HT(ASCP)

Surgical  and Autopsy Pathology Technical Supervisor Memorial Medical Center
217-788-4046

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.