[Histonet] Processing frozen brain samples

Murphy, Valerie murphyv <@t> karmanos.org
Wed Mar 19 08:15:52 CDT 2014

Hi,

I am new to Histonet. Here is my question.

We have brain samples that were fixed in 4% paraformaldehyde then placed in 30% sucrose (cryoprotectant) prior to freezing on dry ice. These samples have been stored at -80 for a couple of years. We want to thaw these samples then process them to make paraffin embedded blocks. What is the best way to remove the sucrose prior to processing? Should we just  rinse with PBS?

Thank you,

Valerie

Valerie Ratliff  B.Sc HTL(ASCP)

Research Assistant