[Histonet] RE: what is a level

pruegg <@t> ihctech.net pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Tue Mar 18 13:31:27 CDT 2014

It can be confusing because people use different words to describe, we call
picking up every section "serial sectioning" and the distance between
sections for levels is determined by the requestor in our case, so they
might ask for six more levels to be cut with 50 microns  thrown out between
each level.  We leave that up to our customers to choose because they pay by
the slide.

Cheers,
Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Ruegg IHC Consulting
40864 E. Arkansas Ave
Bennett, CO 80102
H 303-644-4538
C 720-281-5406
pruegghm <@t> hotmail.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Terri Braud
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:03 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: what is a level

Our 2 cents: What is a level?  A level is how you've defined level in your
SOP.  In this lab, we use the words level and recut interchangeably. We
define a level as 40 microns deeper than the previous section.  If the
pathologist wants to see every section of tissue cut without skipping any
tissue, then they order "sequential"
sections.  If we get orders to go into a block a second time, call it recut
or level, then the 1st slide is always the first full face section obtained.
If the tech senses that the orders will exhaust the tissue in the block,
then they communicate that to the pathologist before cutting.
If the pathologist orders the block to be cut through, we will ask them how
many slides they want and space them accordingly. Its not really that
complicated and it works for us.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Holy Redeemer Hospital Laboratory
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
Ph: 215-938-3676
Fax: 215-938-3874

***********************************
-----

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it was sent. It may contain information that is privileged and/or
confidential, and the use or disclosure of such information may also be
restricted under applicable federal and state law. If you received this
communication in error, please do not distribute any part of it or retain
any copies, and delete the original E-Mail.
Please notify the sender of any error by E-Mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.