[Histonet] Re: GI biopsies

Jay Lundgren jaylundgren <@t> gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:31:48 CDT 2014

       I prefer to put 3 true levels (2 sections off of 3 different
ribbons, 50-60 um between levels, given adequate tissue size), picking up
the sections horizontally on the slide.  In this way you get 6 diagnostic
sections on one slide.  Saves space on the stainer.
       I find you really have to stress adequate hydration/cooling of the
blocks to avoid artifact,  especially in a lab where the bxs are not run on
a separate processor/ protocol.  This doesn't mean you can leave blocks
floating in your icetray while you go to lunch.  But a good 5-10 mins on
ice really helps.  Also, I find I physically slow down my microtome stroke
a little when cutting GI  bxs, and cut nice long ribbons.  The sections in
the middle of a long ribbon will exhibit very little variability in
thickness.
     When you see a slide with 3 sections on it, each of a different
thickness, it's usually the result of an inexperienced or rushed tech
cutting 3-4 section "ribbons" without allowing for adequate
cooling/hydration time.  I have also frequently QC'd slides in which the
first slide is good, but the next 2 levels progressively deteriorate.  This
is due to inadequate hydration/cooling between levels.  Again, it behooves
everyone to really slow down and take your time cutting GI bxs.