[Histonet] RE: Cornflaking artifact

Sharon Scalise SSCALISE <@t> beaumont.edu
Wed Mar 12 21:59:38 CDT 2014

I am looking for help with "cornflaking" (tiny, brown dry spots under coverslip)artifact.  We have been using fresh xylene on our stainer and coverslipper, cleaned and wiped all containers dry before filling, tried different lots of coverslipping film and had service on our coverslipper to make sure it was functioning properly, including the xylene drip.  We continue to have this artifact and it is driving us crazy.  It is sporadic with no pattern of tissue type or placement on the slide.  Sometimes it lands on tissue other times not.  Most of the time when we remove the coverslip and re-coverslip it goes away (I am assuming because the acetone removes any minute amounts of water that may be present).  We just cannot figure out where the water is coming from.  Has anyone seen this artifact while using the drying step on the prisma stainer?  We just recently started using the drying on some slides and I am thinking maybe it is causing humidity???  I cannot say for a fact that our "cornflaking" started at the same time, but it is suspicious. HELP!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Wait, Trevor Jordan
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:57 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Paraffin type and Tetracycline labelling Questions

For those who have done Decalcified bone processing with paraffin....what is the best type of paraffin that you guys are familiar with?

Also, if you are wanting to see a tetracycline label on the bone for bone turnover, must undecalcified sections be used? How for a double tetracycline label?

Trevor Jordan Wait
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio Class of 2017 MD Candidate Abilene Christian University Class of 2013 Graduate B.S.  Biochemistry _______________________________________________