[Histonet] RE: Re: Pathology Protocols

Joe W. Walker, Jr. joewalker <@t> rrmc.org
Wed Mar 12 15:40:22 CDT 2014

Donna brings up a good point.  I too was able to remove a 0.5 FTE from my budget line once we went to a paperless system.  This might help convince the pathologist to get on board with the paperless process.  We did have a pathologist who helped user in the changes with the rest of the group.

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)CM
Manager of Anatomical Pathology, Microbiology and Reference
Rutland Regional Medical Center
160 Allen Street, Rutland, VT 05701
P: 802.747.1790  F: 802.747.6525
Email joewalker <@t> rrmc.org    www.rrmc.org

Our Vision:
To be the Best Community Healthcare System in New England

Rutland Regional...Vermont's 1st Hospital to Achieve Both ANCC Magnet Recognition® and the Governor's Award for Performance Excellence

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Donna Millard
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 3:38 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Pathology Protocols

We are paperless. We use CoPath Plus and ImageNow. All of our requisitions (and any other paperwork for the case) are scanned into ImageNow Software. We distribute the slides on boards, and assign the cases in CoPath (put them into the Pathologists' worklists) at distribution. The pathologists scan the slide into CoPath  Specimen field and it opens the case. We have an applications button for ImageNow, and while they are in the case in CoPath, they can click on that button, and it will bring up the requisition (or photos for gross-only, any accompanying paperwork they need to see). If they want, they can make annotations/ notes on the requisition. Once they finish with a specimen in CoPath, they click Next specimen and scan the next slide (the curser is automatically in the appropriate field for the scan).

The pathologsists have wide-screen monitors. It wasn't a bump-free implementation, but is working fabulously. You need a champion on the pathologist side to help push it. I went out and trained all of the pathologists (we have 20, most of them off-site). Many were not excited about it, but they didn't have a choice (CEO and CMO championed and gave us the needed support). I think almost all of them now love it-better patient safety and a lot less paperwork piled on the desks, shelves...and saved about .5 FTE in the histology lab sorting, matching, stapling, and shuffling reports, requisitions and cases. Good luck!

Donna Millard
Director of Anatomic Pathology
Physicians Reference Laboratory, LLC
7800 W. 110th Street,Overland Park, KS  66210
Direct: 913-339-0485
Fax: 913-319-4156

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Physicians Reference Laboratory, LLC and are intended only for the addressee.The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call PRL's corporate offices in Overland Park, Kansas, U.S.A at (913)338-4070 _______________________________________________