[Histonet] Low vs. High Profile Blades

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Sat Mar 8 09:04:14 CST 2014

I think this is largely personal preference, but manufacturers have marketed specific blades as being designed for certain purposes.  I like low profile for paraffin sectioning of biopsies and well processed specimens, but that is mostly because I learned to section with low profile in histology school initially doing high volume with many different tissues,  and I just learned to adjust my technique accordingly using that type of blade. I do prefer high profile in the cryostat however, but probably also because of my experiences with cryosectioning different tissues using high profile. I am not sure if there is much published science on this ( I looked once when researching paraffin composition and crystallization against blade resistance, and couldn't find much).
I personally feel that for very hard or dense tissues there may be some advantage in stability and durability for high profile, since they are thicker ( more clamping surface) and perhaps a "tougher" less refined edge, that might be able to stay sharper longer with the greater resistance. But I have used both low & high with human bone ( decalcified or not) with roughly equal success.  I am not sure if the difference would be more substantial and noticeable with animal tissues.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC