[Histonet] Can acetic acid in fixative affect fungal staining by PAS?

Conway, Carla cmconway <@t> usgs.gov
Tue Jun 24 09:14:06 CDT 2014

Hello,

I fixed skin/muscle and gill tissues for 48 h in Dietrich's fixative (30 mL
95 % ethanol, 10 mL formalin, 2 mL glacial acetic acid and 58 mL deionized
water) and used the Hotchkiss-McManus PAS protocol to stain
*Saprolegnia *fungi.
The fungi are light green from the counterstain and not PAS-positive. I
used fresh staining reagents and am wondering if the acetic acid in the
Dietrich's fixative may have affected the cell walls. I'd appreciate your
comments and suggestions.

Thanks very much!

Carla

Carla Conway