[Histonet] Lendrum's stain for Paneth Cells

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 16 16:54:44 CDT 2014

This is from the "Theory and Practice of HIstotechnology", 2nd edition, 190.
Dezna C. Sheehan and Barbara B. Hrapchak. The reference for their procedure
is the article you mentioned.

FIXATIVE:
Mercuric formalin preferred, but 10% NBF can be used

SOLUTIONS:
Mayer Hemaxylin
Phloxine stain
    - 1 g Phloxine
    - 200 m of 70% Ethanol
    - 1 g Calcium chloride
Tartrazine solution
    - 2.5 g Tartrazine
    - 100 mL cellosolve (ethylene glycol monoethyl ether)

PROCEDURE:
1. Deparaffinize and hydrate slides to d. water
2. Stain for 5-10 minutes in Mayer hematoxylin
3. Blue sections in running tap water for 15 minutes
4. Stain with phloxine solution for 30 minutes
5. Rinse briefly in distilled water, and drain on filter paper
6. Differentiate with tartrazine solution until the inclusion bodies stand
out bright red and the background is yellow.
7. Dehydrate; clear in xylene; coverslip using a synthetic mounting media

RESULTS:
Inclusion bodies = red
Nuclei = blue
Background - yellow

NOTES FROM PEGGY:
1. Seems like you should be able to use Gill regressive or Harris
regressive, too. At the time we did this stain 30 years ago, our lab was
using Mayer hematoxylin.

2. It's very similar to doing a Brown and Hopps, or a Brown and Brenn. Not
enough time in the tartrazine differentiator, and the background will be
reddish, making is hard to find the inclusion bodies. Too much time in the
tartrazine differentiator, and the background is yellow but so are the
inclusion bodies. I remember doing this for something decades ago, and
remember how easy it was to over and under differentiate.

3. I seem to remember reusing the staining solutions multiple times.

4. Yes, we used cellosolve to make the tartrazine. It wasn't the only
staining solution that used it, so we had it around. I'm wondering if you
could use something like acetone instead, but do a much faster
differentiation.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS