[Histonet] RE: Formalin in the OR

koellingr <@t> comcast.net koellingr <@t> comcast.net
Fri Jun 13 15:31:10 CDT 2014

Heartbreakingly sad,

I do not know where the current regulations are but safety, as Terri rightly pointed out, is an accident that did happen.  Not an anecdote, you can look up March 1985, Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami (years after I left).
Patient went to surgery, had some cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) removed during operation but an UNMARKED container of gluteraldehyde (aldehyde) fixative got marked as CSF with all the comings and goings over many hours. When the CSF was set to be reinjected as replacement, the fixative got reinjected as replacement instead of his CSF.  Patient obviously died.  Can't believe that is the only actual safety issue that has ever cropped up with surgery and formalin.

So maybe a warning for both;  no unlabeled bottles and no fixative right in the actual surgery suite.

Ray
Seattle WA

----- Original Message -----

From: "Terri Braud" <tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2014 10:52:43 AM
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Formalin in the OR

Wow, this is such a safety issue with an accident waiting to happen.  I
totally agree with Peggy that Formalin should not be allowed in an OR
room.  Even a gallon spill would be cause to evacuate and can you
imagine the consequences of that?
We have a small room off of the OR suites stocked with a 5 gallon carboy
over a 5 gal spill container

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Holy Redeemer Hospital Laboratory
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
Ph: 215-938-3676
Fax: 215-938-3874

2. Re: Formalin in operating (surgery) rooms (Lee & Peggy Wenk)