[Histonet] RE: GMS better than PAS for Fungi

Michael LaFriniere Michael.LaFriniere <@t> ccplab.com
Fri Jun 13 04:43:30 CDT 2014

Tony,

Thank you for your explanation, however, I think the original question was from a histonetter seeking to eliminate Chromic Acid from their standard GMS stain due to it's abusive reaction problems noted in the microwave, and was inquiring ideas if anybody has experience with another solution less abusive and works well. A few of us responded that the periodic acid used as the "mordant" in place of the chromic acid has worked fine in micro wave staining and does not react in such a way chromic acid does. I think our goal is to help with demonstrating fungus that the pathologist may feel is demonstrated on the HE with the most efficient, and reliable way. Yes one may feel the PAS will do such however dependant on the type of fungus I agree the GMS would be a better choice, the comment that a few of us made was that periodic acid has demonstrated a replacement that works fine and doesn't seem to minimize fungal demonstration on the slide for the GMS stain and elimination of the Chromic acid, and yes this would most like change the abbreviation of the stain...

Michael R. LaFriniere, HT (ASCP)
Executive Director

Capital Choice Pathology Laboratory
12041 Bournefield Way, Suite A * Silver Spring, MD 20904
P: 240.471.3427 * F: 240.471.3401 * Cell 410-940-8844
michael.lafriniere <@t> CCPLab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tony Henwood (SCHN)
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:50 PM
To: Michael LaFriniere; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: GMS better than PAS for Fungi

Hi Michael,

The PASM  uses periodic acid, followed by the methenamine silver reaction. This is usually for basement membranes, though some methods, including mine, uses a thiosemicarbazide step before the silver.
GMS uses Chromic acid followed by the methenamine silver reaction.

The idea of a GMS is not to demonstrate pseudo-fungi. These are usually PAS positive. We would rather not have patients treated with anti-fungals if they do not actually have a fungus infection.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist, the Children's Hospital at Westmead
Adjunct Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
Pathology Department
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA