[Histonet] RE: G.I. biopsies and special stains

Boyd, Debbie M DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Mon Jun 9 09:05:05 CDT 2014

We have just discontinued this practice after Jane Pine Wood (renowned Healthcare Attorney and Medical Director for Palmetto Medicare Part B coving NC, SC, VA, and WV) stated "ordering special stains prior to review of the H&E stain is not reasonable and necessary".   According to the pathologist billing company ,there is in an article they have privy to with wording which threatens "additional action" taken for providers whose ordering of special stains exceeds the 20th percentile of Gastric Pathology cases.  For this reason we are now retro ordering special stains on gastric biopsies.  We are also looking at IHC necessity.

Debbie M. Boyd HT (ASCP) l Chief Histologist  l Southside Regional Medical Center l  200 Medical Park Blvd.  l  Petersburg, Va.  23805 l  PH 804-765-5050 l  FAX 804-765-8852

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Kathy.Machado <@t> LPNT.net [Kathy.Machado <@t> LPNT.net]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 9:14 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] G.I. biopsies and special stains

I was wondering if other labs are "automatically" ordering special stains and/or IHC on stomach biopsies and esophageal biopsies?  Or do you wait until H&E is screened?  Thanks!

Danville Regional Medical Center
Danville, VA
Kathy.Machado <@t> lpnt.net<mailto:Kathy.Machado <@t> lpnt.net>
434-799-3868