[Histonet] Re: Histonet Digest, Vol 127, Issue 3

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 15:51:46 CDT 2014

Hi Alpha ;-),
     I usually tell new techs that you will not find and should not look
for the perfect job right out of school. It is imperative that you get
yourself a broad base of experience before settling down with something you
really like. Eventually you will find your niche. You have started off with
one type of lab, the factory. This is not for everyone, but I have known
folks that do perfectly well there and wouldn't want anything else. After
working there for a while and learning the speed and basic demands of such
a facility you should try to locate a position in a small hospital. The pay
is not usually as good there (so this may be a better place to start), but
you will be expected to know a little of everything. The volume isn't as
high so you are usually not tied to one task all day at warp speed. You are
closer to the patients, often passing them in the hallways. There are faces
to associate with the work you do. (Not directly associated of course, but
I hope you get my drift.)  There are different stresses and rewards here,
and again it isn't for everyone, but for some it is perfect. Try research
labs and pharmaceutical labs as well. You may find yourself working with
animals. Certainly not for everyone, but you learn a lot. Perhaps an EM or
hard tissue lab might be worth a try.
     Regardless of where you end up settling down and staying, the
different environments will teach you the best and worst of each one. You
will become a far better tech with a broad array of experience. I spent
time in a tiny hospital lab, a large reference lab, a large university lab
and ended up in a research lab. I wouldn't trade one of the labs I was in
regardless of how well or poorly I fit into them since they all taught me
something I can use now. Also remember *nothing* is perfect. There will
always be things that will drive you nuts. Primadonna pathologists,
perfectionist managers or insane coworkers. But you will also find
pathologists that you can learn so much from and managers that will really
help you build your career and really good friends to work with. You
sometimes have to take the bad with the good or at least hope for more of
the latter than the former.

Keep trying,
Amos

PS: You are very right to try to not sling stones and keep a modicum of
anonymity about this subject. There are stories about those that don't have
that foresight, and that is proof of the point. It is indeed a small world.

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM, <histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
wrote:

> Message: 12
> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 16:34:51 -0400
> From: Alpha Histotech <optimusprimehistotech <@t> hotmail.com>
> Subject: [Histonet] Should I leave histology world
> To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
>         <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I wouldn't give too much detail information as the histology world is very
> small and everyone knows everyone.
>
> I am in a dilemma. I have been a histotech (ASCP HT) for almost 6-7 yrs. I
> went to a NAACLS school and have a Associate in Science in Histology. In
> the 6-7 yrs I have changed jobs 3 times. All the jobs were graveyard
> shifts. The first place I worked for was Quest Diagnostics and I did a good
> 3 yrs. The other 2 places I won't mention and I currently still have a
> histology job.

 <<< SNIP >>>