[Histonet] leaving histology question research is still an option

koellingr <@t> comcast.net koellingr <@t> comcast.net
Wed Jun 4 11:50:05 CDT 2014

Alpha Histotech,

wanted to be sure that I did NOT tell you to drop everything in life to look to research exclusively.  So I cut and pasted this from my original message "Research histology should not be overlooked
I stand by that statement.

I agree with Emily that funding in research is (stupidly for this nation) difficult.  But it is not zero.  PhD's do NOT saturate histotech jobs in research labs.  There might be a few, maybe some, maybe a lot in some places but not all.  No one, even a clinical lab, will guarantee that job for years and years.  I know many histotech/non-histotech "techs" who have been through 5-6 different more molecular labs in the same building for over 30 years.  So have 30 years seniority in the system.  Grant runs out and you move to a different lab (and is way easier having had made connections in first lab).  I made 3x in research industry then I could ever have made in clinical histo lab.  Is not for everyone but also not something to dismiss as hopeless.  If you ever do research, you will find that "N of 1" is not reliable to base everything and every decision on.  Best of luck.  Search for those options several others have given but don't dismiss my suggestion outright.

Ray in Seattle (histotech from 1960's who could only retire now because of Research histology)