[Histonet] Should I leave histology world

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 09:40:58 CDT 2014

You describe a common situation in histology where the pressure to finish the work on time (the TAT) reigns but that does not necessarily mean that quality has to be sacrificed, although sometimes it does.
On the other hand, not all histotechs are "created equal" and some have abilities others don't. Manual dexterity is a most and while some can section at the "normal" rate of 24 blocks/hour, other take twice the time, and it seems that you belong to the later group.
For what you wrote it seems that your embedding productivity (about 60 blocks/hour) is the "norm" and, again, others are less or more productive. You also point out that you have worked in 3 places in 6-7 years and that is a quite high turnover never conducent to improve your work and that can be hold "against you" in your Resumé when looking for another position.
A histology supervisor has to assure the slides are ready for the pathologists on a timely basis so one of the things that have to be done is to identify amongst the staff  "who does what best" meaning who can deliver quality in a timely basis.
I think that you, already in your late 20's, should start trying to answer several questions:
1- why did you in the first place decided to become a histotech and if that was a "wise" selection?
2- if you are experiencing the same problems in the 3 places where you worked, it seems clear to me that the issue is with you and not with the trade. It will be the same at least in these types of high volume labs where higher productivity are required.
If you really like histology and think that you need more training to achieve sectioning speed, you have to switch to another type of lab. Try to solicit work in a research or university lab where you will have enough time to train properly and where finishing the work "yesterday" is no usually a concern.
Also think that not all histotechs have the same ability or speed. I had supervised along my career as supervisor scores of histotechs and some just cannot section fast, it is not within their abilities but can excel in some other tasks. My duty was to detect the task that they could complete best and, without totally frustrating their lives, assign them to those tasks.
Also you could try to improve your speed on your own time, and demonstrate that you are also willing to try to improve.
So I think that it is time for you to do one of the following:
1- change career
2- change type of lab
3- adapt and adquire sectioning speed or
4- find amongst the many tasks that histology provide, the one where you can excel and at the same find satisfaction.
What you cannot do is to keep doing the same and expect to find satisfaction or obtain a different result given your ability.
Think hard and honestly what you want to do for the rest of your life that most likely will be long.
René J.