[Histonet] Paraffin blocks

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> outlook.com
Thu Jul 10 15:56:02 CDT 2014

I have been following this stream of conversation and thought I might jump in. Paraffin blocks and microtomy waste are NOT biohazard waste. The process of fixation and tissue processing makes the tissue acceptable for general waste disposal. You do have to address the issue of PHI on the blocks, if you are using bar  code information and especially if patient information is included in the bar code. All bar codes used in the lab can be read in any standard word or spreadsheet software. I do not see the need to pay for expensive removal of biohazard waste, use general waste disposal for your blocks and cutting waste.

William DeSalvo, BS HTL(ASCP)