[Histonet] Thermo Shandon Excelsior tissue processor

Ronda Mire rmire <@t> cvpath.org
Mon Jul 7 08:56:17 CDT 2014

Hello Netters,

I need some suggestions.  I recently started a new job in a research facility.  They do mostly cardiovascular work and work with stents and valves.  I came from clinical and all paraffin.  The research lab does paraffin and plastic .  Before I started, they attempted to convert a processor that had been used for paraffin processing to a plastic processor.  Not much difference in processing, still uses same reagents but of course, no paraffin.  The problem is this - no one here seems to know this processor other than pressing start, i have tried unsuccessfully to reprogram the instrument, I have transferred data from the other plastic processor, which is the same model but has always been used for plastics. I can process but I constantly have error codes and alarms. I have never worked with this model of processor before. The suggestion from one of the other techs has been to purchase a new processor.  That may be necessary but they paid over $1000 for a company to clean and "convert" this processor and I think that I should try to get it to work instead of just buying new. Is there anyone out there who can help me with this.  We do not have a service contract with Thermo.  I am hoping someone works on this type of instrument and can help me get it running properly.

Best,

Ronda Mire
CVPath Institute
Gaithersburg, MD