[Histonet] Re: SNOMED

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 13:21:19 CST 2014

Tanya G. Abbott RT (CSMLS), Manager Technologist, Histology/Cytology, St.
Joseph Medical Center, Reading, PA asks:

>>Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of how this SNOMED thing works?
Please?<<

SNOMED (Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine), in its current avatar of
SNOMED CT, is in my experience (over 60 pathology services) not in
widespread use in the US. Wikipedia has a perfectly incomprehensible
article about SNOMED CT.

Is it possibly that someone has confused SNOMED with ICD-10, the new
diagnostic coding system going into use on October first of this year?
They're not the same.

As soon as I can get my hands on a copy of ICD-10 (everybody I know is
doing a deer in the headlights with the whole issue) I'll be updating my
ICD-9 "cheat sheet" that has the most commonly needed pathology codes all
on one crowded page. I'll be looking for somebody authoritative to review
it when I get it written.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist and reluctant coder
Maryville TN