[Histonet] RE: Frozen sections

Michael LaFriniere Michael.LaFriniere <@t> ccplab.com
Tue Jan 14 12:45:49 CST 2014

Hi Leann,

Dependant on the case and how much tissue comes in from the OR, In my many years...I have on many occasions grossed and placed tissue for FS on chuck, and performed the frozen section, had it under the scope looking at it prior to the Pathologist coming in for DX.(why) because we have experience and it's a comfort level the pathologists under their guidance and supervision, Many of us have the experience to do this especially if you are grandfathered or have the required education under the CLIA regs to gross. I don't know of any regulation other than what I have mentioned above that would not allow the experienced HT to perform this operation.

Michael

Michael R. LaFriniere, HT (ASCP)
Executive Director

Capital Choice Pathology Laboratory

12041 Bournefield Way, Suite A * Silver Spring, MD 20904

P: 240.471.3427 * F: 240.471.3401 * Cell 410-940-8844

michael.lafriniere <@t> CCPLab.com
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Leann M. Murphy
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 10:35 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Frozen sections

Good morning,

I know all histotechs help cut and stain frozen sections.  Is there any organization  out there that has the histotechnician gross the frozen section tissue and place on the frozen section chuck to cut without the Pathologist in the room.  If anyone does this please tell me why?  And if your organization doesn't do this please tell me why.  I am having a debate with our Pathologists over this question.

Thank You,
LeAnn Murphy
Aultman Hospital
Canton, Ohio