[Histonet] slide labeling

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Jan 9 18:22:59 CST 2014

Yes,  I also contributed comments to the public review/survey and read through the comments of others as they were compiled,  and found them interesting. Agree Tim, that is why I like two identifiers of some kind even when it is not required. I don't see the logic of doing this at some steps, but not others. I like it all the way through, beginning to end.
There are problems with numbers, fatigue and people, agree. I still resist the name on the slide for space reasons mostly, and prefer one barcode or QR code and one "human readable". I add to that physical matching of the blocks with the slides. I also like to make cross checking steps formally part of the process for every slide, not just "suspicious" ones. Part being paranoid I suppose and partly because I have not been given any bar coding or other technology solution where I work now, and I got kind of used to having something. There is probably no perfection, but whatever you can think of  and do in your particular system and situation for ID verification,  has to be positive if it reduces errors and increase patient safety. It will be interesting to see the final version and how much impact it has on standardizing labeling practices....stay tuned I guess.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC