[Histonet] slide labeling

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Jan 9 08:27:13 CST 2014

CAP has requirement for 2 identifiers on slides for intra-operative, such as frozen sections only as far I know. That's for slides since the case may not yet have an accession #. The blocks, 2 identifiers.

For specimen integrity though, ( CAP required all over the place) you really want two different, unique identifiers on everything that you track through the whole process.  I like your idea with the labeling, but the intent is to have two identifiers and to cross check them. I know how harsh the response can be sometimes when a "human" error ( such as failing to catch the discrepancy ) is made with an entirely flawed, and "human dependant" system. There is a tendancy to cast blame.
I don't like using patient names on work product much personally, but with at least a partial manual system ( I have that too) it becomes necessary. I just flip the slide over and read what is under the label, match the name & number with the log, or LIS, and match the block with the section on the slide. Still not perfect.  For ease of follow up- I just define what constitutes an "error", and how many you are "permitted" ( yes I know, its really none), # before  there are consequences.

BTW - CAP & NSH are working on a standard labeling guidelines for AP. It is in the "works" and defines a lot of these issues and more,  I found it helpful. Not sure when it will be published. A draft is probably on CAP and NSH sites.

 Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC