[Histonet] RE: slide labeling

Curt c.tague <@t> Pathologyarts.com
Tue Jan 7 13:27:35 CST 2014

To add clarity, there is a 2D barcode on the block, we scan at microtomy and then label the slide. The system is really idiot proof "ASSUMING" the techs cut and label one block at a time, which we strictly enforce. The error here occurred when writing the number on the slide, I think he looked at the wrong block here, so in effect he did label a number of slides at the same time but the slide label was already affixed to the slide. I guess the rule should be to write the number as it's seen on the slide.

Curt

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Curt
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 10:33 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] slide labeling

So we have a facility we do some work for that requires both the hand written number and the slide label be viewable, so we place the slide label a little lower and write the number on the top of the frosted end. Does CAP recognize both numbers as a legal record? The reason I ask is because there was a case that the hand written number was wrong but the slide label was correct. That being said, there's still a QA issue with the slide not being accurately labeled. Slides are labeled at microtomy too, the hand written number and the slide label. I contend internally that the slide WAS accurately labeled because the sticker number and block number correspond accurately, the discrepancy was in the hand written number.

Thoughts? Does CAP have any guidance on this?

Thanks,

Curt