[Histonet] Soaking artifact

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 6 11:31:09 CST 2014

In most labs, the processor runs all night long. Someone comes in very early
in the morning, empties the processor, starts the purge cycle, and then
starts embedding a lot of blocks.

The tissue processor then sits, doing nothing, from after the purge in the
early morning, until sometime in the late afternoon, when all the tissues
are loaded in for the overnight run. That means the tissue processor is
doing nothing for up to 12 hours during the daytime.

How about, besides the overnight run, we can set up 1 or 2 other shorter
runs during the day, with the small biopsies.

How about - process all the large tissues overnight, but keep the little
biopsies that you grossed all afternoon in formalin until the morning. Empty
out the large tissues, purge the process, embed the large tissues and start
microtoming them.

After the purge is done, put the small biopsies from the afternoon on the
tissue processor, and process them for 1.5-2 hours (and if your processor is
able to process half a load, do that to save on reagents). Then embed them
and start microtoming them. Purge the processor again.

In the mean time, all morning, collect the small biopsies again. After
lunch, short process all the small biopsies from the morning. Embed them in
the afternoon, purge the processor again, and load up the overnight load.

If you don't have time to microtome the morning small biopsies (that you
embedded in the afternoon), someone can microtome them in the morning the
next day. Either with the large overnight load, or have someone else come in
early, and while the other people are embedding the large tissue overnight
load, they can be microtoming the small biopsies that were embedded in
previous afternoon.

Yes, all of this will mean changes:
- staggered hours that people will be coming in
- processing, embedding and microtoming continuously throughout the day
- someone might have to microtome more than someone else, or might have to
embed more than someone else. But if you rotate jobs around, over the
months, everyone ends up doing the same amount of work overall.

This is a type of continuous work flow, and does lead to faster turn around
time and efficiency.

When our lab changed to this system (we are an 1100 bed hospital, with lots
of tissues from our ORs, from outside hospitals and clinics and doctors
offices, so lots and lots of blocks), it took getting everyone involved -
people accessioning, grossing, the histotechs, and the pathologists (they
were not going to get their slides in numerical order). We have short
cycles, the overnight long cycles, some rush cycles, and long cycles for
breast and autopsy brain. We actually have more than 3 runs, but then we are
working almost 24/7. During the time we were switching to continuous work
flow, we had a few histotechs off on maternity and/or medical leaves. And we
got a couple more clients, so the work load increased. But because of the
continuous work flow, we were able to handle the additional work without
having to hire anyone.

Whereas before, we would process ALL the blocks overnight, and then would
have lots of people embedding lots of blocks first thing in the very early
morning, and then having to put in the in order, and no one could start
microtoming until all the blocks were embedding and in order (so some days
the microtoming techs were sitting around with nothing to do for a time).
Then, everyone had piles of blocks to cut, for blocks 100-150 were going to
be cut hours and hours after everyone started microtoming blocks 1-50. Then,
there were racks and racks of slide piling up to be stained with H&E (and at
that point, we were still labeling after staining). So there were all these
spots where tissue was being held up, unnecessarily:
- waiting to be processed
- waiting to be embedding
- waiting to be microtomed
- waiting to be stained
- waiting to be labeled
- then the pathologists had stacks of slides, waiting to be diagnosed
- waiting for the reports to be typed

With continuous flow, there is always some work coming through, but not
large piles causing long waits.

It just takes rethinking how you can use the processor more efficiently,
which will make the rest of the work more efficient. And increase
productivity and make turn around time faster.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)