[Histonet] Soaking artifact

Manfre, Philip philip_manfre <@t> merck.com
Mon Jan 6 06:58:28 CST 2014

I have been sectioning 28 years and, like everyone, completely disagree, at least with respect to animal tissue.  You can "oversoak" some tissues like brain and liver, but you can also cut through the over soaked region just by cranking the wheel a little under the puffy stuff is gone.  Also, the oversoaking occurs usually through neglect - leaving the blocks on wet ice for a long time.   My two cents.

Phil

Philip Manfre, B.A., HT (ASCP)
Associate Principal Scientist
Merck Research Laboratories
WP45-251
PO Box 4
West Point, PA 19486

215-652-9750
215-993-0383 (fax)
philip_manfre <@t> merck.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Deanna Leslie
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2014 4:43 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Soaking artifact

Has anybody in histoland ever heard of this?  I have been cutting tissue
for 25 yrs and until recently I had never heard of this!
I am under contract to a facility and the supervisor there does not want
anybody to soak their tissue or use ice!  Your are supposed to use the cold
plate, because as I have stated soaking them causing an artifact. I have
not disputed this because it is not my place or in my job discription as a
traveler.  I am not even sure what it is supposed to look like or what type
of problems it causes.

Thanks for listening!
Deanna Leslie HT ASCP