[Histonet] Re: Congo red stain

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 14:57:10 CST 2014

Dorothy Webb asks about amyloid staining with Congo red.

Anatech about twelve years announced a product they call Amyloid Red. I've
never read about anybody trying it, though. At that time I posted on
Histonet that Anatech offers "a product I'd certainly want to look at if I
were trying to stain amyloid.

What they have named 'Amyloid Red' they describe as a ureylene (rather than
benzidine) based dye, which according to their MSDS is Direct red 72 which
is C.I. 29200 and CAS#10114-26-6. It is supposed to replace Congo red in
amyloid staining. Amyloid Red colors amyloid, with the same birefringence
(polarization) properties as Congo red. Obsolete as a textile dye for many
years, benzidine-based Congo red is now listed by OSHA as a carcinogen, and
could go out of manufacture.

http://www.anatechltdusa.com/
http://my.net-link.net/~anatech/www/anatech/MSDSfolder/AmyloidRedMSDS.html

Another question I've asked repeatedly is whether amyloid produced in
experimental animals is ever offered as a control material. Has anyone seen
this?

Bob Richmond Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN