[Histonet] Slide Storage

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Wed Feb 26 12:26:03 CST 2014

CAP regs
Anatomic Pathology
ANP.23700 Storage Organization
Under the notes section it states "The storage area for blocks should be cool to prevent blocks from melting together.
Cytology
CYP.017100 Slide Storage
Under the notes section it states, "Cytopathology slides should be stored at room temperature for optimal preservation.

Room temperature is often approximated at 20°C or 70°F. In scientific contexts, it usually denotes a range between 20 and 23.5 °C (68.0 and 74.3 °F) with an average of 21 °C (70 °F). Some instrumentation, such as your IHC instrument may have a specific Room Temp designation.
Obviously, this is another measurement that must be recorded for CAP. And as far as I know, there are no national regulations requiring different retention times for peds records, but states could vary.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Holy Redeemer Hospital Laboratory
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
Ph: 215-938-3676
Fax: 215-938-3874
   2. Block/Slide retention for peds cases (Amber McKenzie)

On Feb 25, 2014, at 5:45 PM, Amber McKenzie <amber.mckenzie <@t> gastrodocs.net> wrote:
>Are there any regulations specifying any difference of holding blocks/slides for peds cases?  Are they treated the same as adults cases and held 10-12 years or are they needed to be kept longer?
In the block/slide storage room, are there any regulations on temp or humidity?
Thanks!
*****

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it was sent. It may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential,
and the use or disclosure of such information may also be restricted under applicable
federal and state law. If you received this communication in error, please do not
distribute any part of it or retain any copies, and delete the original E-Mail.
Please notify the sender of any error by E-Mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.