[Histonet] Buffer pH

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Tue Feb 11 18:05:55 CST 2014

can't do that, because I think you are right. I do use a vendor's buffer that I reconstitute, and I check the pH every time. I keep a log of the reading and lot. Maybe CAP will or won't look for it, but I figure if they made a checklist item for it, it's expected. They focus on all the variables affecting testing reproducibility, so this just fits in with that approach.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 17:11:48 -0500
From: amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Buffer pH

Hi,
     I'm worried that my opinion on this matter may be in a minority. I truly hope to be proved wrong. Every bottle of every lot should be tested for pH. This is especially true if you are doing any reconstituting of the buffers.
     I do not know if CAP actually looks for this, but they should considering all the other seemingly insignificant things they do look for. (Float bath temps... really?)
     If you reconstitute buffers with distilled water, the water pH varies and hence the buffer pH will vary some with it. Even if you don't and are willing to spend God knows how much to have ready to use buffer shipped to you, how sure are you that there is never any fluctuations in the pH from the factory or due to freezing on the loading docks. It is just a good practice to be 100% sure about this and it really doesn't take that long to check.
     Since checking the pH should be incorporated all the time,why not just make up the buffers ourselves anyway and save the 400% markup per bottle. (Yes I actually did the math on that the numbers are right!) So save money and increase accuracy while ensuring test quality by doing things the good old fashioned way.

Alright will someone help this crotchety old git off his soapbox,

Amos