Re: [Histonet] Surgical Pathology Manager or Supervisor

joelleweaver@hotmail.com joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Feb 5 12:45:17 CST 2014

That is awesome that you have a career ladder. I wish I had one!

----- Reply message -----
From: "Vickroy, Jim" <Vickroy.Jim <@t> mhsil.com>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Surgical Pathology Manager or Supervisor
Date: Wed, Feb 5, 2014 11:09 am

We have rewritten all of our job descriptions in the anatomic pathology department.  We now have a career ladder  that includes histotechs, histotechnologists, a lead histotechnologist, and supervisor.  Our HR department are assigning ranges that differ by percentages.   For example......the HTL range would be 5% higher than the HT, and the Lead HTL would be 5% higher than the HTL range.   The supervisor or manager's range (depending on what you call it) is set at around 10% above the lead histotech range.  ( The lead histotech helps keep workflow moving on a daily basis.)

I am definitely not complaining but would like to understand how other hospitals handle the manager or supervisor role.   I have heard that some are on a yearly salary role and others are hourly.

It is really hard to compare one organization with another but if anyone has any information I would be very appreciative.   I am listing the duties covered under the current supervisor or manager:

35,000 surgical accessions each year, 18 or so pathologists, a technical and clerical staff of around 18 -20.

Supervise histology, gross and frozen section lab, and autopsy area (which includes managing the lab that utilizes an outside forensic group) in addition to routine house autopsies.
Work with finance team to establish to purchase equipment, etc.
Work with finance to monitor pathology billing
Investigate and solve all discrepancies with physicians, clients, etc.
Handles major scheduling and personnel issues.
Etc, Etc.

I am nearing retirement and the organization has asked me for a succession plan.    I think knowing how other hospitals are handling there anatomic departments will be helpful when they look to replace the current supervisor.

Jim

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.