[Histonet] Re: Turn Around Time

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 13:50:45 CST 2014

Dawn R. Bugge at Seattle WA Histology asks:

>>I am just curious what the standard for Turn Around Time is for most
labs. I think a two day turn around time from the time the biopsy gets to
the lab to the time the pathologist signs out a case is pretty fast.<<

Normally I'd receive the specimen on Monday and gross it, have it processed
overnight, get the slides some time Tuesday morning, and sign the case out
well before close of business on Tuesday.

Exceptions are when the specimen needs to fix overnight before I gross it
(bowel resection) or after I gross it (fatty breast tissue, amputation
specimens, autopsies), or when a specimen of more than minimal size (or
received after 1400) requires decalcification. What I say goes.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN