[Histonet] RE: Angle of Wrist/Hands Using Microtome?

Schumacher, Jennifer J JSCHUMA1 <@t> Fairview.org
Mon Dec 8 15:07:16 CST 2014

I am not an ergonomic expert, and can't back this statement with fact, but I think that "without bending the wrist" is the key variable, as that is considered a "neutral" position that would not harm the employee.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Smith, Denise
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 2:53 PM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] Angle of Wrist/Hands Using Microtome?

Hi all!

When I took HTL exam and there was a question on the exam that bothered me the most but I cannot find an exact answer for it, had to guess!  I'm very curious about your thoughts on this.  I have asked Histology Core and they weren't sure about it either - wanted to share it with you guys if you know the official answer for this!

The question was mainly about the angle of wrist/hands on the rotating microtome and the degree must be correct so it won't cause any stress on wrist/hands, it listed 4 different choices:

1.       30 degrees wrist down forward

2.       90 degrees straight without bending the wrist

3.       60 degrees wrist up backward

4.       60 or 90 degrees wrist down forward

(Please be gentle with me since I don't remember the EXACT numbers but those were close to numbers provided.)

Thank you!

Denise Smith

The materials in this email are private and may contain Protected Health Information. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return email.