[Histonet] Re: Prostate Needle Bx

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 19:10:45 CST 2014

Jay Lundgren thought of several more things I didn't think of.

It's essential to get the biopsy cores strung out straight - remember the
pathologist has to measure them on the slide. You do of course have to use
two of the blue sponges.

If the tissue is adequately fixed, you shouldn't get crush artifact
handling the specimens with tweezers, which is what I do (and I think what
the large volume labs do).

I haven't used safranin O for prostate biopsies, though I certainly have
for GI biopsies. Your microbiology lab uses quite a lot of safranin O
solution for the Gram stain, and this preparation works quite well for
small biopsy specimens. (Once again, don't use eosin - it fluoresces and
interferes with fluorescent techniques.)

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN