[Histonet] RE: Looking for suggestions, ideas

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Wed Aug 27 05:00:02 CDT 2014

We did this a few years ago for our local coroner's office.  They send us their tissues and we process them and cut the slides.  We return the slides and blocks to them so there is nothing in our files.  Are you returning the blocks with the slides?

Pretty simple to do.  I created a new specimen prefix in Meditech to differentiate them from our in-house cases and built a new charge procedure that has a zero charge for the  professional component.

The coroner does the dissection and places the tissues into the cassettes.  The cassettes are a different color and their numbering system is unique so there's no problem identifying their cassettes.

I assume that you will be placing the tissues into the cassettes on-site so I think that a different color cassette should solve your identification problem.  You may want to think about also using a matching slide color to make it even simpler.

Tom Mc Nemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
(740) 348-4163
Licking Memorial Hospital
1320 West Main Street
Newark, OH  43055

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Thomas Jasper
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:54 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Looking for suggestions, ideas

Hi Folks,

Here is our situation.  In the not too distant future we will be receiving additional specimens from 3 dermatologists.  What they need is to have these specimens processed, embedded, cut and H/E stained.  Once we've got the slides coverslipped they are to be sent back the dermatologists.  We are not doing the interpretation.  What I'm looking for is an idea about getting these into our LIS (PowerPath) and designating them for return to this group.  We should be able to capture the TC and need to account for the workload.

I'm thinking we could prefix them differently at the time of accessioning and then create something in the LIS attached to that designation which only generates a TC.  I'm wondering if anyone else does anything like this?  I'm also interested in having this differing designation for efficient workflow.  I don't want any of these making their way to our pathologists.  I've thought of identification by color of block and a new prefix.  Just not sure if/what others are doing, how difficult to implement for an LIS standpoint (separation of TC and PC) and any other considerations.

Thanks, I know I've got all the superior minds out there.  Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Tom Jasper

Thomas Jasper HT (ASCP) BAS
AP/CP Supervisor
Deaconess Hospital