[Histonet] IHC on free floating slices of brain

Michelle Chang michang2014 <@t> gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 13:15:23 CDT 2014

Dear Walter,

In order to cut the tissue on the microtome, you need to first fixed the
brain tissue (in rodents, normally, we perfused it using 4% PFA or 10%
formalin), followed by post-fixation for a couple hours depending on the
antibody of interest. Prior to cutting the tissue on the microtome, you
have to put it in 20% to 30% sucrose (to get rid of water) solution for
normally a day or two depending on how big the brain is (for mice brain
minimum 1 day and rat brain minimum 2 days).

Also note that if you have to do IHC on the free floating tissue, you will
need to incubate the primary antibody and detection system for longer time
as the tissue is thicker.

PS: You will not be able to handle free floating section that is thinner
than 25um.

Michelle
michang2014 <@t> gmail.com